'Mince Pie House' built for his family, survived until 1911. Built over in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it contains many fine examples of substantial Georgian and Victorian houses – most notably Michael Searles' crescent of semi-detached terrace houses linked by colonnades, The Paragon ( – as well as some 1930s and 1960s additions.The Cator Estate was built on part of the estate formerly owned by Sir John Morden, whose Morden College (1695) is another notable building to the south-east of the heath.has been part of the sporting fabric of the area, joining forces with Blackheath Rugby Club in 1883 to purchase and develop the Rectory Field as a home ground in Charlton.Blackheath Cricket Club hosted 84 first-class Kent County matches between 18.It is held in trust for public benefit under the Metropolitan Commons Act of 1886.It passed to the London County Council in 1889, then to the Greater London Council.Blackheath is a district of south-east London, England, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich and the London Borough of Lewisham.It is located east of the town of Lewisham, and south of the town of Greenwich.
Another Anglican church, St John the Evangelist's, was designed in 1853 by Arthur Ashpitel.
With Watling Street carrying stagecoaches across the heath, en route to north Kent and the Channel ports, it was also a notorious haunt of highwaymen during the 17th and 18th centuries.
As reported in Edward Walford's Old and New London (1878), "In past times it was planted with gibbets, on which the bleaching bones of men who had dared to ask for some extension of liberty, or who doubted the infallibility of kings, were left year after year to dangle in the wind." Vanbrugh Pits have long been reclaimed by nature and form one of the more attractive parts of the generally rather flat Blackheath.
It is particularly attractive in spring when the extensive gorse blossoms.
The pits are named after Sir John Vanbrugh, architect of Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard, who had a house nearby, adjacent to Greenwich Park, now called Vanbrugh Castle.